“We don’t have a charming mascot, color or theme. We send books to an underserved and incarcerated population. A lot of people have problems with that. Very few are likely to wear our name on their sleeves and raise funds for prisoners. Many believe that prisoners just ought to be punished.
"Why?" a man asked as I wrapped his books. "Why do you care?"
While I quoted statistics on the current rate of incarceration (higher in terms of both sheer volume and per capita than anywhere else in the world), all I really wanted to say is that I care because somebody has to.
Our system is broken. Our justice system claims rehabilitation as a goal, not punishment, but in a world of diminishing resources, prisoners suffer. Libraries are cut, as are educational programs, and recidivism is high. Those who enter prison on minor drug offenses walk out as hardened criminals without skills, resources or hope for the future, with criminal connections, without an education and literacy helps stop that from happening. Showing basic human decency helps stop that from happening.”
- beautycontrasts reblogged this from flaviowolff
- flaviowolff reblogged this from austinimus
- flaviowolff likes this
- mountainsfall likes this
- danatumbles likes this
- danatumbles reblogged this from foxesandawolfe
- stacyavenue likes this
- caitlinfaith reblogged this from austinimus and added:
- sashanako likes this
- foxesandawolfe reblogged this from austinimus
- kali-vibez reblogged this from 0rangec0unty
- wethepinc reblogged this from austinimus
- hallows--vs---horcruxes reblogged this from austinimus and added:
- hallows--vs---horcruxes likes this
- rosapoderosa reblogged this from austinimus
- caitlinfaith likes this
- austinimus posted this